Sunday, March 28, 2010

The King and the Denials

This Sunday, we are invited by the Scripture repertoire to reflect on the passion of our lord Jesus. As a stage and music director, I am always dreaming of portraying the passion narrative into stage act. I know many are also fond of watching it on screen or even on sinakulos in front of the Church. But more than being a spectator, we are called to be identified as somebody present in the event and by that we will reflect on the lessons that Jesus wants to teach us. Here are the readings;


INTRO GOSPEL Matthew 21:1-11
FIRST READING Isaiah 50:4-7

PSALM Psalm 22:8-9, 17-20, 23-24
SECOND READING Philippians 2:6-11
GOSPEL Matthew 26:14 - 27:66


Commentary

In the sufferings of Jesus, there is a common denominator I kept on hearing as it reverberates on my mind. I believe that the nuclear component of the Passion of Our Lord is the denial he received from different people and situations.

First, Jesus was denied of obedience. Always remember that for us Catholics the suffering begins with the Agony in the Garden patterned after the Rosary. In Gethsemane, Jesus requested the apostles to stay awake but their fleshes are weak. Let us Pray.

"Lord we have a tendency to be asleep and unalert.
There is a tendency for us to be stubborn and dis-
obedient to your will. Show us your perfect will so
that we will not fall into your permissive will and so
to avoid temptations in the future"

Second, Jesus was denied of company and association. I have experienced to be denied by my classmates and imagine how much suffering it is for Jesus being denied by His best friend. Peter denied Jesus not just once but three times. During the time that Jesus really needs a friend, Peter wasn't there and only the beloved disciple was there with Mary. When my father died, I really need a friend to cheer me up. When I came home from Manila after I learned about my father's death my best friend was already there cooking. He assisted my family even before I came home. I was consoled with the presence of my friend but Jesus saw his friends running away one by one. Peter's denial is just too much. Let us Pray

"Lord, make us never leave you.
We want to be by Your side all
the days of our lives. bestow unto
us the gift to stand in your Word
and be firm to it. This we ask
through Christ our Lord. Amen"

Third, Jesus was denied of an hones and fair trial. I took up Philippine Government and Jurisprudence under Mrs. Aurora Mantele and every law students should know that the most mocked and dirtiest trial was that of Jesus'. He was prejudged even before the trial. The Sanhedrin must convene in the Sanhedrin hall but the tried Jesus in Annas' house and the trial was done 3:00am in the morning. No one in his right mind will hold a trial for an accused before dawn. Jesus was denied of a counsel and a personal witness. Jesus was brought to Pilate and just when we thought it is lawful that he be under the mercy of the governor who represents Roman authority, it was not. Pilate was under pressure of the religious leaders and the people and he did not decide according to legal paradigm but it was driven by fear and that is unethical.

"Lord, we pray for lawmakers and for
law enforcers and magistrates who
upholds justice. May justice and mercy
reign in our country."

In my 9 years of Christian ministry, I was able to hear a lot of stories about suffering people. I discovered and concluded that there are only two things tha make suffering very very unbearable.

1. To suffer with no reason
2. To suffer alone.

If you are in a rocky situation right now. Remmber you are suffering for a reason and you are not alone. Jesus suffered with you. If there is any assurance we can have from Jesus, it is that Jesus already walked that rocky roadyou are passing right now. There is no shortcut to heaven. Only one way, Jesus' way. if you will select the easy way, I don't think you will meet Jesus at the finish line. Because Jesus took the way of the cross. Be confident that Jesus is at the end of the road waiting for you becasue he did pass the way are crossing right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment