Thursday, July 22, 2010

In Search Of My Giftedness In Music

I am an ouido conductor. I learn my orchestration and ensemble mechanics by watching in youtube and reading blogs of well known conductors. I rely on my impeccable ears and trust my creative hand movements parallel to imaginary materialization of aural transcription. I did, not only once but several times, asked myself why pursue when there is lack of education. A lot of students out there are studying it formally and what can I say when I am placed side by side with them.

While I know that in leadership it is said that Education enhances ones leadership. I would have to answer using any of these three versions. ;

1. God's Anointing
2. I pass the three requirements
3. Passion outruns education

I would want to expound on these one by one.

Number one will point us to the issue of destiny. I really do not adhere to the theory of predestination. I am 50-50 when it comes to destiny. I believe in absolute human freewill and usage of intellect. I am not saying it is my destiny, I just believe that it is a calling to be a conductor. It is up to me if I will respond to the call or not. I f I do, then heaven will exploit all means just to let that happen. I saw conducting as a ministry. A form of service to men and a prayer to God. Whenever I am conducting my quintet and my vocal ensemble, I feel like I am in heaven dancing with the saints and archangels. I can see that there are metamusical meaning to what I do far from being entertainment and aesthetics.

I like my second answer. I pass the three requirements of generic preparatory conducting skills and qualifications. I am a musician and director; I am a choreographer; and I am a leader. It is my habit to lead and gain experiences and training for leadership. A music director, a creative choreographer, and a competent leader makes up a conductor [don't get me wrong, it is preparatory steps I am talking not the complicated one]. Nonetheless, conducting is not easy. I experienced being ridiculed and humiliated at first. I was downgraded and often advised not to pursue. But courage seems to be my twin. She was perhaps there when I was born. I did not quit. As of now, I am in preparation to study in a music school formally. While I still feel like my leadership training isn't enough and inadequate, I want to continue attending fora and symposiums {symposia} in leadership and team-building. My goal is not to be a stupid musician. I want to continue being an honorable fighter.

I started as a sound operator in high school. I was opportuned to be in the theater guild. I became a music scorer. While I was in college taking up Communication Arts, I concentrated on music directing for drama. So my real work is adding flavor to the emotion of a scene. I choose the most appropriate music for a certain stage play and later on also became a music director for short films. I became a sound editor and a re mixer. I eventually ended up as a Pipo Cifra. From theater to film and then to FM radio play lists. I use to line up the songs to be aired in a radio practicum. I am by profession a music director.

What about being a choreographer. The second thing that a person should be after becoming a music director is to be a choreographer if he wants to conduct in an ensemble. I really love moving my hands when the beats are on. Automatically my body creates steps that are fitting to the movements of a conductor. The rooms are getting smaller when I have music in me. I always imagine a group of musicians performing in front of me. And since my ears are coast to coast sensitive, I can clearly illustrate in my mind when they will move by hearing exactly the instruments in my iPod.

No doubt about my leadership. I was born from the family of leaders. Since elementary I am in every committee. I became the Alpha Company Commander Lieutenant Colonel during my ROTC days. I am a political science fanatic. I became a theater director at the age of 15, third year high school. Became the SK chairman at the age of 19. I am leading my peers whenever we are together and when my father died I became the prior member of our home. I formed my own vocal ensemble at the age of 20. Attended seven leadership trainings and symposiums. I am a leader. Leadership is the skill that will let you become visible. A leader when mixed with basketball players becomes the team captain; when mixed with armies becomes a general; when mixed with dancers becomes the dance troupe leader; when mixed with writers becomes an editor; when mixed with businessmen becomes a millionaire; when mixed with actors becomes a director; and thus when a leader is mixed with musicians---he becomes a conductor!

My third answer can only be proven by experience and comparison. We need to look at the industry and see how many of them who are practicing the profession are indeed graduates of that certain courses. I am convinced that no matter how educated you are, if you lack passion you will never be best in your career. You will only produce substandard results. Passion is the special power that vivifies your talent. It is the engine of your success. I know in my heart that I can outrun my contemporaries by using my passion in conducting. I will just recite every morning of my life, "I am the conductor" "I am a conductor" and I will have the guts to continue. To persevere!

Sometimes we are just late in finding our personal interests. I can inject artistic decoration to the musicality of a chorus or a quintet. I have sentimental gifts inside of me and I don't want to die until they are exhausted and utilized to the full. One day I will face God and say I have done all. Even the talents that seems to be impossible for m to enhance.

If you have doubts with your calling, do not surrender. Give your vocation a fighting chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment