Sunday, January 23, 2011

Operation Fishermen

I had no experience of fishing. Not at all. I never rode a boat until I was 14. So far, I have seen fishermen from afar. From the shore or from television sets. I also have no interest whatsoever with fishing but I don't regard it a menial job. It is something dignified for me. Anything that does not let you steal is dignified.

How I wish I can share a little, how little it may be for God's sake, of my experience with fishermen but I have none. Still, I will have to raise points about the Gospel and the readings for this Sunday which I promised I will always do every Sunday.

We read ion the Gospel periscope that Jesus called the first disciples. A very familiar scenario in the Bible. And we can deduce that Christmas is already over. It is a Jesus in action and in ministry that will be presented to us from now on until the Ash Wednesday. What can we learn from the story? What practical messages can we get and eventually apply in our lives reading that particular account?

First, we see Jesus willing to share the load. Jesus although God, also wanted us to partake of the mission. He chose human persons to assist him in gathering his flock. We are partakers of that mission in asmuch as we are parts of his body--the Church. Jesus wants to point that although there are gifts which are prominently visible, that does not reduce the fact that we are equal. Division is not a Christian trait for how can Christ be divided? This brings us to the point of Saint Paul in the second reading when he said, "Is Christ divided?" pointing to the divisions in Corinth, his favorite Church. Some of them adhered to Apollos and some to Peter while some remained loyal to Paul. Everyone is of Christ for the calling came form him alone.

Second, Jesus is more precious than our livelihoods and status. All these four left their nets and father and followed Jesus after knowing him. Seeing in him the completeness that none in the world can provide, they left their net which is symbol of their livelihood and status. They also leave their father Zebedee who is symbol of human affiliation and relationship. They wanted to be free from other preoccupations so they could be free for Christ.

These are points to reflect; Are we willing to share our giftedness so we can take part of the mission which Christ called us to do [as modern apostles]? Are we willing to surrender even our human attachments so we can be unloaded as we follow Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment