Thursday, June 10, 2010

Season Finale of Glee; Two Thumbs Up!

AND YES I AM A FAN OF GLEE

Sometimes I watch the show to appreciate music and artistry but sometimes I watch it to envy the gifted singers in character. Glee club members can relate to the lives of the characters, in particular Lea Michelle who is portraying the role of Rachel Berry. First, let us consult what Webster has to say about the word "glee" lexically. Glee is a noun which means a musical entertainment bringing joy and hilarity. In some music books, it is defined as a part of a song commonly sung by three different male voices [counter tenor, tenor, and baritone]. Definitely, the latter i snot the one applied in the show but the former. Though purposely made for amusement and entertainment, the show accomplished more than that by bringing practical lessons and inspiration for young adults and teenage life.

I really have no plan watching it in the beginning. But since I am an avid of American Idol and Glee follows after that, I have no escape. How can I when all they have to do is ... sing? I didn't even noticed that gradually I am liking it and as we know TV shows like this are addictive. There was one time I was suppose to change station after American Idol but my heart said no. That's when I found out I am glued on Glee.

Hope that in the next season she will give birth. That I think is the longest pregnancy on television. Anyway, the massive viewership of the show guided it to be one of the highest rating show aired by Fox. I am sure a lot of us who are into Glee are downloading their songs in iTunes every week. What do I have to say about the music? There must be something right?

About the Music

Well, their voices are excellent. I do not know why Adam Lambert was not a part of this season{as we all know he is from theater before} but all I can say is that they are stunning. The arrangements are comparable to that of Rent and Equus. There is a bright piano somewhere and an electric guitar to add neo formality. I like those instrumentations. And who will not like the arrangement of Don't Stop Believing? Who? I said who? It is perfectly a combination of vocal ensemble fantasy and 80's quasi new wave efforts. I am astounded. This is the kind of music that attracts new Afraelay members to join us. We really have to innovate and make the lyrics something believable and sincere and something our youth can relate to. I have seen a good cover video of the song in youtube and I am sharing it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIoSTbPt_PI

How about the one everyone is talking about? Yes, I am pertaining to "Somebody to Love". An example of the electric guitar, bright piano, and vocal ensemble combination. I do not know really who stood out in that arrangement. It is totally, entirely, completely [oh tautology} balanced. What we want to hear we can hear after the murdering done by the AI finalists. That is what 24 million American wants to hear. I am sure Tuesday nights, which is Wednesday morning here in the Philippines, is a musical day for many of the viewers. And I guess I have to share a video of that rendition by the casts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqGtSAJdgz4

About the Finale Episode

Well it is fine. It can be described in one word---Journey. It is a journey which temporarily closed for a moment and we have to wait until the next season. I hope that Charice, our Philippine pride, can join in the next season because a lot are yearning for that to happen. Although we have to admit that her vocal stylings are not meant for a broadway class music program but who can say so? Even experts may be wrong in their predictions. None of the storytelling is perfectly surprising. Actually it is a typical season finale. What made that episode special is the rehearsely-drawn characters, unparalleled sense of humor and the breathtaking musical performances to be exact. These things stayed us away from the plot and the imperfections of the scenes.


Well, is there a hope that a more vivid characterization and explicit drama may be viewed the next season? That is a question still. Can Filipinos be able to give such flavor to TV history? They already did. With the successful screening of Emir I think that will make avenues for musical and broadway shows in the country. It is time for Filipino arrangers to arrange smooth dialogues which can be pronounced in a musical manner. For those who think thyey can't get enough of Glee, they are coming u with a prequel book and an audio book which includes their songs. Isn't that great? I want to hear their version of Rihanna's "Take A Bow".

No comments:

Post a Comment