Thursday, May 27, 2010

Habemus Idolum {We Have An idol}






AND SO IT HAPPENED



All that I’ve predicted in my last note entitled “Unifying America” are in total reality. Tonight, May 26 in America , the newest and 2010 reigning American Idol was crowned. He seemed to be awed by the result. It was a great show and I really enjoyed it though I have to wake up earlier than what I am used to. But before that, let’s review what happened before the night.



After the hometown visit 2 weeks ago, Lee, Crystal, and Casey payed tribute to music as they performed two sets of songs. One coming from their own hearts and the other one coming from the judges. Casey performed “It’s Alright with Me” but it was honestly a dull performance. A number which I called “not bad” but not great. He didn’t have any moment to remember after that song. That was a real sign of eviction. On the other hand, Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi picked a song for Casey which really fits him. The song of John Mayer entitled “Daughters” and he made it a very believable performance. After that Crystal took the flame with her choice and Ellen picked a song for her. A song from Paul McArtney “Maybe I’m Amazed” which she justified anyway. Outstanding I may say is Lee’s performance of “Hallelujah” and Simon picked it up for him. That was the most innovated version I have ever heard in American Idol. That was different from Tim Urban and Jason Castro’s performances. Lee was able to hit notes I have never imagined he can ever does. Lee crumpled the other two with that song. That was the most memorable of all songs that night. By that time America already knew she will never see Casey James the next week. The next night, America decided to send Casey home. The battle continued with only two music warriors—Lee and Crystal.



Last night, the Nokia theatre was on fire. Two of the remaining contestants following their dreams are like wrestlers pushing it all to the limits. Three songs are to be delivered but only one singer will take the title. One is from those songs they’d performed and they really like. Second is from Simon Fuller, the creator and executive producer of AI. Third is from the upcoming album they will release if ever they win the contest. Lee won the toss coin so he went first. He sang “The Boxer” on round 1. However, I have to say that I didn’t like it the way I did when I first heard it. He seemed so nervous singing it. I understand, the crowd is very overwhelming. The heat is bringing more pressure in the room. Then it was Crystal singing the song from Billboard number 1, "Me and Bobby McGee" by Roger Miller. Randy brought a good comment saying, "So Round 1, duel to the finish. It started a little bit slow for me but you picked it up near the middle. At the end, it was back to that Crystal that we've known and grown to love. I'll tell you what; I hope you make a record like that. I thought it was dope." I really liked what Simon Cowell said, "This brought me back to the time when we absolutely fell in love with you. I think the last three or four weeks, it hasn't been great. This is you back on your best. You know what? We've got a competition tonight. That was terrific." Coming from Simon himself, I thought Crystal already had round 1.



Next round still started with Lee. The song is "Everybody Hurts" by R.E.M. it was the choice of Simon Fuller and I want to salute him for choosing that for Lee. I know he is a genius, god… he is one. That brought Lee into the cave of eminence. That is the song you will want Lee singing on the radio. Here are the comments of the judges;



From Randy Jackson; "That was definitely better because I can feel your passion vocally in that. It started off a little pitchy in the intro, in the first couple bars, but I'll tell you what, you pulled it together. I can feel that Lee that I love by the end. So I liked that man. It was a lot better."

from Ellen DeGeneres; "I felt like you want off a couple of times but I don't really care about that. It's really about the performance. A couple of times you really, really got into it and I was like, 'Oh, here we go. This is exciting.' Then you kind of pulled back again. I want to see you do that like you can feel everybody get excited when you did that, then you pulled back. I want to see more of that from you."

From Kara; "Lee, what makes you great as a performer is that you're emotionally accessible and that I can feel every word you're saying and you're telling a story. It wasn't a perfect vocal, but I love that about you."

From the bidding farewell man, Simon Cowell; "Lee, I thought that was -- I have to say, brilliant choice of song for you -- but you went a little bit off-melody at parts. I think what I'm feeling from you tonight Lee -- and I understand this -- you're nervous. You've got another song to come. I think you've got to really understand the importance of what this night can do in terms of changing your life. When you come out for your last performance, I want a 10 out of 10, because you're capable of it."



After that, Crystal took the stage still with the choice of the executive producer. The song is “Black Velvet” by Alannah Myles. Thanks to Christopher Rocchio because of him I can show you once again what the judges said;



Randy—“This is what I'm talking about. This is what I fell in love with from Day 1. Mama Sox is in it to win it! That was hot! Now we're talking."



Ellen—“With the wardrobe changes it's like a Cher concert in here. This is fantastic. I know you a little bit, so I know that was hard just walking down the stairs, much less singing and doing that. That was fantastic. I give you that."



Kara—“ Crystal , tonight is the night to give it your all; to kill yourself on that stage. To hit those notes that you never even tried to hit. That's what you were doing. You want it, you can tell. That's what tonight is all about."



Simon—“I had a little bit of a problem because I'm almost allergic to that song because I've heard it so many times in auditions when people have absolutely murdered it. But I've got to tell you, you took that song and you absolutely nailed it. I'm very impressed. I mean really good."





The third round started with Lee Dewyze’s performance of "Beautiful Day" by U2. This song is hypothetically his coronation song. If ever he will be crowned as American Idol. And that was great. The judges liked it. Crystal was next and she performed the last song for the night. "Up to the Mountain" by Patty Griffin was named to be the culmination song. After that, one by one the judges gave their comments but Crystal interrupted just before Simon say a word. She gave her bid to Simon. They really have a connection. She loves Simon more than the other contestants and Simon never gave a dirty remark to any of Crystal ’s number. What I love is that Will Young also performed on a Tuesday night show which is mainly for contestants’ performance alone. He payed respect to the climaxes of this season. He sang one of my favorite songs, which is his own song “Leave Right Now”.



Tonight, in America [and this morning here in the Philippines ], we all witnessed the great show ever of Fox 19 this spring. The finale episode of American Idol 2010. Alice Cooper entered with the top 12 singing School Out for the Summer. With their Princeton costumes they really looked like it was school days in Hogwarts. Kris Allen sang the Truth which is his latest single. I didn’t know Bee Gees will be surprising me. They just appeared while Siobhan and Aaron Kelly were singing their song “How Deep is Your Love”. A lot more big artists graced the show including Cristina Aguilera, Alanis Morissette, Micheal McDonalds, Bret Micheals, Paula Abdul and Janet Jackson were there to name a few. I really liked how they all bid farewell to Simon. There were tributes, three were video clippings and lastly a final song coming from all American Idol finalists from 2002 to today.



Finally, the main dish of the night. The announcement of winner. Ryan Secreast was so nervous and so excited to announce it. With his stoic tone, he mentioned the name of Lee Dewyze and confetti all around. A blaze of fire fountain. Embraces from co-finalists. Everything was like a dream but a reality. Lee made it. He is the newest and reigning American Idol from now on until we crown another one next year. Congratulations Lee! It was a very very memorable season. There will never be another American Idol season as endearing as this one. Mind you, Simon won’t be there anymore. Goodnight America, Glee is Next!

No comments:

Post a Comment