Sunday, May 2, 2010

Memento



As one preacher would say it "Life is about making moments" sometimes I gotta believe that but sometimes I don't. There are other things which life is for kasi.

While watching Lee Dewyze singing "The Boxer" a few weeks ago, the comment given by Kara was he seized the moment. That night was, according to her, his moment. They were all speaking about artists having their moment on stage. Yesterday Jovit had that moment. With the consistent positive comments given by the Big Three of Pilipinas Got Talent and the standing ovation given by the mob, I think he got his moment last night.

I am a person of moments. I use to embrace sweet moments and hope never to let go of that.
When I am in front of Lara Faye and she's smiling to all the world to know, I believe that is a moment. When I have the time to be before and ensemble and conduct, I am convinced that is a moment. When everything in the world is strangely beautiful, I am certain that that is a moment.
Life indeed may be about making moments. There was a movie entitled
Moments of Love which starred Dingdong Dantes and Iza Calsado. Is life really about making a moment alone or making moments of love. Love colors everything in a moment. Well guess what I am having this contention because... the Bible tells me so.

Todays Gospel is all about making the moments of love. Easter, more than being a season, is a moment of Christianity. It is the moment we are asked to shine and shine more. A season for us to celebrate. There was never a dull Easter for the Catholic Church. It is the season when everyone should know about us because we are yelling our hurrays for Jesus in the form of Hallelujah. What could be your moment with God this Easter?

You have to ask that question. Easter is not here only to be remembered but to be lived. We are people of the Easter Morning.

For me it when I am alone in my room every Saturday and contemplating for the readings the next day, which is Sunday. For me it is those afternoon I am before the Host, adoring God in the Eucharistic visit. For me it is the Easter Vigil. Easter Vigil is the moment of Love. Jesus giving us light rather than darkness, giving us redemption rather than condemnation which we in the first place deserve. The cross is senseless until we have an empty tomb. The Good Friday is meaningless without the joy of Easter Vigil. Without Easter, the Lenten moments are futile. We need to recover and redeem the intentionality and grandeur of Easter Vigil which was dumped and gradually erased by commercialization, by picnics, by Saturday night parties, by primer nights of movie houses. We need to make Easter as happy as the way we celebrate Christmas because Christmas season is immaterial unless Easter triumphs.

Number 40 is such a significant number in the Bible. A moment of destruction in Noah's time was given by God 4o days and 4o nights. The Israelites walked in wilderness for 40 years. Jesus was having a moment with Satan for forty days and forty nights. He rose again after three days and stayed here on earth for another 40 days before the ascension. You think for what? Why did he stayed 40 days? I guess to spend some moments with those He loves. He wanna have time with the apostles and with the believers, the early Christian community.

And in today's Gospel, he taught them how to have the moments as Christians. We can grasp our moments as Christians when we do love. It is love that gives us the moment of Christianity. Just as Easter is the moment of John's gospel. You see, from the very first Sunday of Easter we have the Gospel of John as the main readings. We have not taken any from the synoptics, all from John. Because John is the beloved of Jesus. When you love Jesus and Jesus loves you, Easter becomes your moment.

I hope that we too may become like John. The who have his moment during Easter season. Because for Catholic Christians, Easter is a moment of Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment